"Helping Each Other With Knowledge"
My CTOA

Login to connect with Others on Chinese Tractor Owners Association:

Directory

Article Categories
Paypal Verified
Official PayPal Seal

Announcement: Due to spam non-members can no longer ask question.  (Remember -Members Log in for full access)

You must be logged in to post

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Love my Jinma 284!

UserPost

July 26, 2012

Tomtoxic

Lifetime Member

posts 18

Bought new in 2007, this thing has been a real workhorse. Periodic maintenance and a few struggles here and there but overall this has been a great tractor! And I still have money in my pocket, compared to what the local Deere and Kubota dealers wanted for a comparable tractor. And this site is a tremendous resource! Thanks to all!2007 Jinma 284

I mounted a power inverter to run an electric pole saw while in the orchard. It works great!

July 26, 2012

Tinbender

Lifetime Member Platinum Elite

posts 562

That's great Tomcool . I'm using mine to dig holes for a fence and used one of the pallet forks I made to hold a roll of fence, it would have been a pain to get the fencing where I needed it without it, and I can roll it right off the tractor. I'm using an electric pole saw to limb trees too, it's hot and dry and I feel safer knowing I won't spark a fire like I could with a gas saw.hmmm

Now if only I hadn't read the post on parts unavailability for the Quanchai engines.yellvomit 

July 26, 2012

fido

Lifetime Member

posts 38

Can't agree more with you two. Wish I bought my 07 284 as soon as I bought my land. Got very burned out on the too big, too old, too expensive farm tractors. But then I might've got one with a Quanchai ? ! When did they put those in ? I heard it was for a short time but what year?   Tom, have you changed the alternator? How big of an inverter can you run? Thanks, Fido.

July 30, 2012

Tomtoxic

Lifetime Member

posts 18

No, didn't do anything with the alternator, and I mounted a 5000 watt inverter. Does just fine with the electric Troy-Bilt pole saw/weed wacker unit.  The orchard is a long way from electricity so having 110V mobile on the tractor is great.

July 30, 2012

Bob Rooks

posts 1279

Tom, that 5 kW inverter will probably come back to bite you if you haven't upgraded your alternator. Your OEM alternator and regulator are only rated for 14 amps (1,000 watts @ 12 volts nominal).

July 31, 2012

RichWaugh

posts 513

As long as he lets the little alternator  give the battery a full charge he should be okay.   The inverter is/should be drawing from the battery primarily.  I do agree that it will work the alternator pretty hard to keep up with the inverter if there's much draw, though.  That's one reason I upgraded my alternator like you did, Bob.  I want to mount my 2KW inverter on the tractor for things like pole saws and other tools, some of which will come close to the max the inverter will provide.  I may even have to consider adding another battery.  If so, I'll probably add  a deep-cycle battery and an isolator/charger circuit like on an RV -  use the deep-cycle for the tools and both of them for starting when/if needed.  Just have to figure out exactly where to mount all that stuff!

August 1, 2012

Tomtoxic

Lifetime Member

posts 18

My experience has been good with very intermitent use of the pole saw. I had mounted a 2500 watt unit initially, and it would only power the saw on slow speed (it's a two speed Try Bilt pole saw). Didn't matter though as I unwittingly left the tractor and mounted inverter out in a big rain storm and the inverter guts were still wet when I turned it on again. Fried the thing!  Might have just been fuses inside, but I went ahead and replaced with the 5k watt unit for more power…. and added a rubber boot to keep it dry!

August 1, 2012

RichWaugh

posts 513

Where did you mount it, Tom?  I keep looking at mine and not finding a really convenient place to keep it even halfway dry.  I may have to give in a build a box for it, but if I can avoid that I'd like to.

August 6, 2012

Tomtoxic

Lifetime Member

posts 18

I put it on the inside of the fender, behind the ROP bar, sorta behind the seat to my left.  It just fit. Ran cables from battery, through a battery disconnect switch.

About the Chinese Tractor Owners Association Forum

Forum Timezone: UTC -5

Most Users Ever Online: 65

Currently Online:
20 Guests

Currently Browsing this Topic:
1 Guest

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3
Forums: 15
Topics: 2445

Membership:

There are 1107 Members
There have been 77 Guests

There is 1 Admin

Top Posters:

Bob Rooks – 1279
Tinbender – 562
RichWaugh – 513
Affordable – 374
DavidPrivett – 243
SpringValley – 243
Little_Grizzly – 199
pepage – 128
Carl Darnell – 120
Bert – 115

Recent New Members: ckuck51, TwoBlondes, peason, kempho, hance

Administrators: CTOA (184 Posts)

Disclaimer: This website and the "C.T.O.A." take no responsibility for accuracy of any information provided on this web site. Please use at your own risk. Responsibility of any errors contained within the web site, including inaccuracy of omission or commission, is disclaimed and that neither, this website, the C.T.O.A., its officers, or employees and agents, shall not be liable for any loss however caused, whether due to negligence or otherwise, arising from reliance on the information within the home page(s), forum pages and this site. If you do not agree with this Disclaimer please Do Not Read The Material on any of the pages and EXIT THE SITE IMMEDIATELY.

Copyright © 2014. Chinese Tractor Owners Association - All Rights Reserved.