12 V Injector Lift Pump Retrofit

Forum Forums Tractor/Dozer Engines 12 V Injector Lift Pump Retrofit

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Bluenoser
      Participant

Due to recent issues with my lift pump, I would like to seek input into a retrofit.

The OEM mechanical lift pump has leaked diesel fuel into the lub oil side of my TY395 engines injector pump.   After replacing the faulty O ring and bleeding the lines (pain) I now discover it is loosing its prime. This means I have to bleed it again. I will take it apart one more time and see if I can get it repaired.

I also have an SL4105ABT engine in a Jinma 604. The injector pump on this engine appears to be lubricated by engine crankcase oil. Which means diesel fuel in the crankcase when that O ring fails.

Has anyone done this mod?  I have attached a line flow diagram (as I envision it) for the TY395. Any assistance would be welcome.

Bluenoser
        Participant

pic

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Affordable
          Participant

We have serviced these tractors for years, your problem is not a common one.I know you don’t want to hear this but,it’s either leaking thru your primer pump which is replaceable or you may need to replace the pump.The biggest problems we have had is no one put oil in there injector pumps when they were new so they wore out prematurely.We service tractors with several thousand hours on the same injector pump.

Tommy
            Affordable Tractor Sales
            “Your Jinma Parts Superstore”
            http://www.affordabletractorsalesco.com

kenotractors
            Participant

This is actually quite a common problem…..  The lift pump or “primer pump” goes out, leaking diesel into the injection pump, making the seals/o-rings in the injection pump dry out from not being lubricated.

You can order a new lift pump, I have them.  But I do like your idea of putting a electric lift pump on there!  The Mahindra tractors I sell almost always have a electric lift pump.  They come on as soon as you turn the key on.

I think you would just have to make a plate to go on your injection pump that covers up where the lift pump went.

Show us pics when you get this done, I am pretty excited to see this!     :good:

Tyler Nystrom
              Keno Tractors
              parts@kenotractors.com
              866-363-8193
              Phone hours: M-F 8am to 5:30pm PST Sat 9am to 1pm PST

Bluenoser
              Participant

I suspect the issue lies with the check valves in the OEM manual lift pump.  I will find out today.   The pump has always had oil + changed annually. Changed after each use once I noticed the issue (run time about 2 hrs). Lub oil level is stable now + no diesel present in lub oil, since O ring change.

Do you know if the SL4105ABT is crankcase lubricated _ or separate oil reservoir (as there is no dipstick or plugs I can readily find like on the TY395) ?

Affordable
                Participant

If you look at the injector pump on the SL4105 if it’s oiled by the engine you will see a braded line on the block to the pump.

A replacement primer pump for your TY395 is around $ 50.00 plus shipping.

Tommy
                  Affordable Tractor Sales
                  “Your Jinma Parts Superstore”
                  http://www.affordabletractorsalesco.com

Bob Rooks
                  Participant

Blue,

On your fuel flow diagram, I take it that the red line is the supply to the injection pump? If so, it should first pass through the secondary fuel (oil?) filter. Also, there should be a primary fuel filter (in-line see through) on the electric pump suction side. I presume the green line is the fuel return line, which should return to the top of the fuel tank, either directly or via the injector leak off lines. Returning to the lift pump suction could cause aeration of the fuel.

Account deleted.

Bob Rooks
                    Participant

To clarify things a bit for others, the priming pump is the hand operated plunger attached to the lift pump, and it utilizes the check valves in the lift pump. This all goes away if an electric pump is installed. :good:

Account deleted.

Bluenoser
                      Participant

I have the OEM Ty395 Lift pump repaired _ as I suspected the mechanic put the check valve in hand pump in backwards … have to have a chat with that fella.

OK thanks Tommy

The SL4105ABT is not lubricated by the engine oil.  It has its own oil sump, once I removed about a 1/4″ of what looked like undercoating, I found 2 drain plugs (one way up under the rear part of the pump, this one will test you when you reinstall it, unless you have the hands of a 5 year old. The other one is  towards the front on the side of the injector pump ahead of the hand pump) the dip stick if located beside the hand priming pump.

Hi Bob

I have looked at the OEW fuel flow (as I understand it) and copied the flow. Red is discharge from the 12 V electric pump. The return from the side of the injector pump pistons (Green) feeds back through the OEM fuel filter and merges with the fuel coming from the sediment bowl (yellow).  The return to the fuel tank is on the injectors (not shown). At this stage it is a concept, as she is running great now. Adjusted the valve tappet clearances as well and she fires right up.

Attachments:
                        Bob Rooks
                        Participant

Ok, as I see it in that pic is: Sediment bowl → lift pump → secondary filter → injection pump → return to lift pump suction. The poor “primary filter” is the screen in the lift pump.

If you wanted to install a 12v lift pump the plumbing would be approximately the same, with the addition of a primary filter and a return line to the tank. I think the engines were plumbed that way for convenience and cost savings. My engine was plumbed the same way. Everyone else has a return line to the tank.

Account deleted.

Bob Rooks
                          Participant

Fuel flow diagram.

Attachments:

Account deleted.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.